Wednesday, April 23, 2014

World Book Night 2014!

It is that time of year again where books are handed out in public in the promotion of reading!
This year I got Book 1 in The Ruins of Gorlan series titled Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan, by handing out these books I hope to allow people to turn into another person even if it's just for a day and explore a whole new fantasy world escaping from the hustle and bustle of real life into the pages of a good book.
Last year I had a good year and people seemed to snatch up the copies as quickly as I could hand them out but sometimes it isn't so easy to open people up to the world of literature. Skeletor handed out books one year and people would act like they were interested until we tried to hand them a book then they would run or shy away from us like we had an contagious illness. This year for me also didn't start out so well when I was told by my local movie theater that I could not hand out books because it violated one of their rules. The guy got even more upset when I asked what rule would be in danger from handing out a free book to promote reading. The guy then acted like I was a criminal just for wanting people to read more. I was there to see the new Captain America movie which was good and just thought I would hand out some books while I was there. I ended up becoming so angry at this guy that if Sheldon hadn't already bought the tickets I would have walked out of the movie theater. I guess I just don't understand why anyone would frown upon reading. I just hope that my hand out go a little better for the rest of this week.
Here are the list of books that are being given away this year by volunteers:

The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
Zora and Me by Victoria Bond and T.R. Simon

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

After the Funeral by Agatha Christie

The Ruins of Gorlan: Ranger's Apprentice Book 1 by John Flanagan

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

The Lighthouse Road by Peter Geye

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

Wait Till Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegon by Garrison Keillor

Same Difference by Derek Kirk Kim

Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

Miss Darcy Falls in Love by Sharon Lathan

Bobcat and Other Stories by Rebecca Lee

Young Men and Fire by Norman Maclean

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

Waiting to Exhale by Terry Mcmillan

Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan

The Raven's Warrior by Vincent Pratchett

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

When I Was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago
Cuando Era Puertorriquean by  Esmeralda Santiago

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff

100 Best-Loved Poems edited by Philip Smith

I would like to give a big THANK YOU to Owen's community college for being so awesome and allowing me to pick up my books at their library!
Also if you would like to be a book give or are interested in World Book Night and want to learn more please visit: www.WorldBookNight.org

Below are pictures of my box!
That is half a cat face :3

Do you have a World Book Night experience? Share it with me in the comments! 















No comments:

Post a Comment